NEW HOME MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH HISTORY
New Home Missionary Baptist Church had its humble beginning in the low land of South Basin, in the home of Rev. & Sis. Samuel E. Engram, 2244 Ingalls Street, San Francisco, California. On January 16, 1948 at 3:00 p.m. this church was born upon the ruins of the old. Since that time a New City have been erected as a saying that can be applied to New Home Missionary Baptist Church. The moderator of this meeting was Rev. J. T. Berry. Rev. O. D. Shields was Secretary and Pastor of Galilee Baptist Church. The moderator stated the purpose of this meeting was to organize the church.
The first item was to get a Pastor for this church. The moderator asked for a motion. It was motioned by Brother Carter, and seconded by Brother Zeb Smith that Rev. Samuel E. Engram would be the Pastor.
The church was organized with eighteen members. Twelve of the eighteen members obtained letters from New Providence Baptist Church, Pastored by Rev. C. E. Scott. The other six members were candidates for baptism.
In May 1949 Saint Luke Baptist Church opened wide their doors so that the New Home Missionary Baptist Church could come in and worship with them until they could secure a place for service.
In August 1949 the church moved to 487 Third Street where they served for six years. They then moved to 1201 Mendell Street for approximately two months before relocating to 230 Townsend Street where they served for the next six years. The next move was to 216 6th Street for another six years; then to 266 6th Street for another six years. Rev. Samuel E. Engram served as Pastor of New Home for twenty-five years.
In 1970, Rev. Hosey Daggs came to help us carry on the plans of God. Reg. Daggs served four years as our Assistant Pastor. Rev. Samuel E. Engram resigned in August 1974 due to illness. At the request of Rev. Engram, Rev. Daggs was elected full-time Pastor of New Home. Rev. Engrams asked the moderator of the Progressive Association, which was Rev. J. A. Morgan, Pastor of Saint John Baptist Church to hold a meeting with the members of New Home Missionary Baptist Church. The purpose of the meeting was to elect a Pastor for the church. It was motioned and properly seconded that Rev. Daggs be Pastor of New Home. Rev. Daggs’ Installation Service was held on September 22, 1974. He was our Pastor for thirteen years. He worked at New Home for a total of 17 years.
In 1976 New Home purchased the property at 1674 Wallace Avenue. The note burning was October 18, 1987. Rev. Hosey Daggs resigned October 31, 1987 due to illness. Rev. Lionel Griffin was elected Pastor of New Home on November 3, 1987. His Installation Service was held on December 6, 1987. Rev. Griffin resigned June 12, 1988.
After the resignation of Rev. Lionel Griffin, Rev. Hosey Daggs returned as Interim Pastor.
In November 1988, after much prayer the invitation to Shepherd the flock was extended to Rev. Kenneth J. Sampson of the Second Union Missionary Baptist Church. Rev. Sampson’s Installation was held the following year, January 27th and 29th.
Through Pastor Sampson’s teachings, New Home began to outgrow the sanctuary at 1674 Wallace Avenue both numerically and spiritually. In September of 1989, the faithful members of the New Home Missionary Baptist Church followed the God given vision of Pastor Sampson and moved into our present Sanctuary right here at 1763 Newcomb Avenue, San Francisco, California.
God has blessed the fruit of our labor since moving to this location: Through our evangelistic efforts hundreds of souls have been saved and many have followed the Lord in scriptural baptism
In September 1991, we started our 8:00 A.M. service called ‘Breakfast With Jesus’ at the Westside Baptist Church in Pacifica. Due to growth we moved our 8:00 A.M. service back to our present location becoming the first Baptist Church in San Francisco to offer an 8:00 A.M. service.
In 1995, God pressed on the heart of Pastor Sampson to launch our campaign to support church missions. This included feeding the hungry on Wednesday night, ministering to families and friends of those that are in prison on Saturdays, and church sponsored youth summer camps and outings.
In 1998 we expanded our foreign mission efforts to support the J.C. Sams hospital and the Bryant Mission School in Ghana, West Africa. Not only do we support missionary efforts throughout the world, we also have been blessed through ‘Youth With A Mission’ to send our own church members to both Asia and the mission fields of Ghana. God also bless our efforts locally. New Home Missionary Baptist Church was blessed when Pastor Sampson’s son in the ministry, Rev. Marshall Wolridge of the Immanuel Missionary Baptist Church in Oakland, California expanded our goals to reach the lost for Christ.
We sponsor a ‘Boy Scout Troop 159.’ Our ministry efforts are continually blessed when Pastor Sampson’s vision of having a Christian School came to pass with the opening of Coming of Age Christian Academy. The school is in its third year and our SAT scores are in the high 90’s range. We’ve acquired a new van. The mortgage has been paid of. We have expanded out missionary efforts in Ghana, West Africa by
- Sending medical teams and supplies
- Sending text books and school supplies
We have developed a strong United Sisterhood through our GAP Ministry. Our Sunday School attendance have been increased by developing our own Sunday School Literature. Through Evangelism we have had over 600 visitors so far this year. We have made many improvements to the church and have grown by leaps and bounds.
Our 67 years of ministry can be summed up in the words of our theme. “The Church That Takes The Word Missionary Seriously.”